Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Interview with paranormal novelist Tamara Rose Blodgett


Today's interview is with paranormal novelist Tamara Rose Blodgett.

Welcome, Tamara. Please tell us a bit about yourself.
I am a 'thinking-out-of-the box' paranormal enthusiast who believes there's a 95% chance zombies do not exist; but loves to write as if they do. I'm from Alaska and have worked as an online journalist in the past. I enjoyed writing Death Whispers and am hard at work on book two, Death Speaks, (pub. Aug. 2011). My paranormal romance, The Pearl Savage, is due to publish in mid-June.

In my spare time I'm a [reluctant] serial-re-modeler, project-slave and big time, in-my-pants reader (surprise!). I do a great deal of day-dreaming about impossible scenarios and events, writing books to capture them in stories for you. Side note: Gnomes should be exterminated.

Please tell us about your debut young adult novel.
Death Whispers features Caleb, who has the most rare of the paranormal powers, Cadaver-Manipulation (aka corpse-raiser).

In this world of the future, with Brain Impulse “pulse” Technology’s wide-spread use and influence keenly realized, routine school inoculation has expanded to include a pharmaceutical cocktail, which once administered, unlocks the genetic potential for paranormal abilities. Using this small window of puberty, teens who have the genetic propensity find themselves manifesting extraordinary gifts; some of which garner the full attention of our government.

Caleb must camouflage his new “talent” during the mandatory eighth grade Aptitude Test so that he remains undiscovered while establishing choice for his future. However, events beyond his control systematically reveal Caleb and his friends, which force them to fight for their freedom.

In the midst of this struggle, his girlfriend's father battles to reassert his abusive dominance in her life while a couple of “peer enemies” thwart his efforts of secrecy at every turn. In the explosive climax, Caleb must protect his friends, and Jade, the one he loves...at all costs.

What inspired you to write this book?
I have a pack of voracious male readers in the household that were tired of contrived prose from the male POV and wanted "truer" dialogue/action/interaction/responses that read more believably. Having raised four sons, I decided to "go for it," and Death Whispers was born. I love all paranormal premise and enjoyed creating this unique, futuristic world where teens are given more than they bargained for and the adults did not have a solid contingency plan for the consequence of it!

What exciting story are you working on next?
I am currently writing the sequel in the Death Series, Death Speaks, which will publish on or before August 15.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
When I was thirteen (1980) my English teacher gave us a writing challenge to finish the beginning of a story. We submitted our "endings," and he read each one (anonymously). Mine won and I remember thinking, "Wow, maybe I can do something with this day-dreaming I'm always doing..."

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
No...not exactly. I have a family that warrants attention and messes which crop up daily (you guys feel me on this) so I have to contain the creativity into "blocks." Writing could easily consume my life. I finally had to implement some balance to survive. In the AM, I do about an hour and a half of emails/tweets/posts/correspondence/promotional stuff and in the afternoon I write between one to four o'clock in the afternoon. An average day is about 2500 to 3K words but I *love* when I get a 5K day in! Wonderful! The coolest thing is the WORLD is I don't have the dreaded writer's block and I am completely grateful!

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I have to have coffee (even if it's cold) and music blaring. But not just ANY music...it must fit the "writing mood." Whatever enigmatic thing that is! Lol!

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A journalist, I never dreamed of the possibility that is now before me. I had a parent that was very concerned about a "real" job that would make me an income. And that is tremendously important (to avoid the naked-and-starving mode). But! In the end, encouraging aptitude, ambition and drive in the area of talent turns out to always be the way to go IMHO.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I appreciate each and every one of you! I am a ginormous reader myself and it's precious time that we spend reading a story. I sure appreciate yours spent reading mine. Thank you all!

Ways to connect with me:
Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads
Shelfari
Amazon.com
Amazon.com.uk
Barnes & Noble
Smashwords

Thanks for being here today, Tamara. Wishing you all the best with your writing.

1 comment:

Tamara Rose Blodgett said...

Thanks so much for hosting me, Lisa~! :D