Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Interview with contemporary author Kea Noli

Author Kea Noli is here today to tell us a bit about herself and her novel, Pearl Lover.

Welcome, Kea. Please tell us a little bit about yourself.
I am an Aussie from Sydney. I was a designer in the building industry. Because of the bureaucracy, I quit my job, and said: “to hell with all that;” and then, I watched silent movies for a year before I became a writer.

Please tell us about your current release Pearl Lover.
A beautiful girl. A wicked mother. A twisted love triangle.

Nixie Veidt is forced to choose between money and love. She must stay faithful to the bureaucrat she married to save her inheritance, but her love belongs to a Russian dancer. When she hires the dancer for her company, she puts it all on the line.

Although Pearl Lover is a contemporary story, it is the rebirth of Ballets Russes, a company from the early 20th Century. Most of the ballets produced in the west can be traced back to the Company’s influence.

What inspired you to write this book?
To challenge the status quo on jealousy and show the answer to:
Is it moral for a woman to love two men? I’d had enough of romances with hysterical females.

Another inspiration—the famous Rudolph Nureyev and the Ballets Russes.
Two of the scenes in the book came from real events, although I dramatized them. Sir Thomas Beecham was involved.

What exciting story are you working on next?
Just a few loose ideas at this stage. A man has been looking for his father, a fugitive who disappeared with a billion dollars. He finds him living under an alias in Argentina.  Father and son reunite after 20 years. Will the son, a detective, arrest his father?
  
When did you first consider yourself a writer?
After I had watched all the silent movies I could find featuring my favourite actors and actresses.


Do you write full-time? If so, what's your workday like?  If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
Currently, I am promoting my debut novel, from 5:00 a.m., when I look at my screen, until 8:00 p.m., and that’s an easy day.   

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
The capitalist that I am. My parents were immigrants, who both worked very hard, accumulated wealth, and were successful. They taught me to be industrious—a heroic ideal.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
If you do not know the answer to a problem, look beyond yourself. Do not think that there is something wrong with you, just because you cannot work it out. Find the answer. I found that comment in Fiction Writing by Ayn Rand. 

Thanks for being here today, Kea.

1 comment:

Rita Wray said...

Hi Kea, the book sounds wonderful, I've added it to my read list. By the way I grew up in a small town south of Sydney.
Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com