Friday, September 26, 2014

Interview with romance author Kelly D. Smith

Thanks for stopping by today. Today’s guest is Kelly D. Smith to chat a bit about her newest romance novel, Princess.

Bio:
Kelly D. Smith is a 19-year-old erotica and romance writer from Canada. After being home-schooled all her life, she got her GED and has been pursuing her passion--writing-- with the hopes of turning it into a full time career.

Smith is a personal improvement junkie and loves excelling at challenges. She is a country girl at heart and loves spending the day outside with her 3 dogs and the cat!

Welcome, Kelly. Please tell us about your current release.
Princess is about a girl named Becky. She ends up falling in love with John, who is from a wealthy family. His grandmother is not a fan of Becky, since she thinks Becky is only with him for his money.

But not only that, Becky has to struggle with finally having the chance to meet her father-- who left her before she was born--her vindictive roommate who wants John for himself, and so much more.

What inspired you to write this book?
I'm not really sure honestly...I wanted to write a modern fairy tail type of romance. The idea was that Becky is making the transition from her lower-class lifestyle to a modern-day "princess' so to speak.

Excerpt:
Oh, this is awkward.I hope he doesn’t notice me. I bowed my head, brushing my hair into my face.

I moved forward as someone went to the counter to place their order. Oh noo…I could feel it coming. My nose itched and I sniffled before letting out a series of quiet sneezes. Please don’t turn around, please don’t turn around. And he did.

Turning to face me, a smile spread across his lips and his eyes lit up. “Well hello.”

“Hi.” I smiled, pushing the hair out of my face. The entire world stopped for a fraction of a second and my heart skipped a beat. “How are you doing?”

“Pretty good, yourself?”

“Good…just, on my way home from work.”

“Ahh right, you said you worked at a bar, right?” I nodded. “Did you finish that book yet?”

“No, I’m still stuck on the Celtic mythology part. I haven’t had much time for reading.”
Someone stepped away from the counter and he moved forward to place his order. He stopped halfway to the counter and turned back to me. “Could I buy you a coffee, Becky?”

“Um…sure.” I followed him up to the counter as he placed his order. The women turned to look at me. “A small hot chocolate, please.”

She rang our total up and he pulled out a twenty-dollar bill.

“So.” He turned to me. “I don’t mean to drag you into this, but I’m guessing your friend isn’t going to call me back, is she?”

I opened my mouth, figuring out how I was supposed to reply. “Well…she isn’t really my friend, we just kinda…live together with a bunch of other people, mostly because I am broke and can’t afford to live anywhere else.” I gave a forced laugh. “But, I think you are right… If you haven’t heard from her by now she is either playing hard to get or not going to call you back.” A blush rose to my face as the waiter brought us our drinks.

“Thank you.” He smiled as we picked them up and headed for the door. “I was thinking, you seem like you would like to go to a fundraiser at a museum, there’s one tomorrow night and I’m dateless…Would you like to come with me? There will be a great exhibit open on Greek goddesses.”

“I…” Um, yes, please! But I don’t have anything to wear, and it’s not like I can afford to go out and get a new outfit. Not that I was going to tell him that. “I would love to.” I’ll find something. I decided.

“Awesome.” He beamed, holding the door open for me. “It’s formal. I’ll pick you up?”

“That sounds great and, um, thanks for the hot chocolate.”

“Anytime. I’ll be there at five-thirty. The fundraiser starts at six.” He turned in the opposite direction of where I was going and headed off.

I stood there for a second as I processed everything that had just happened. I think I just got a date. I grinned, taking a sip of my hot chocolate. Butterflies filled my stomach and I started trying to piece together what I would wear.


What exciting story are you working on next?
I'm working on a couple things right now! I just finished a paranormal romance that has some very CSI elements to it, it's not like anything I've written before but I'm very happy with it!
I'm working on a short winter romance; that really focuses on the couples acceptance of the death of their baby, and the strengthening of their relationship.

The last one is a paranormal chick lit, with lots of drama and lots of eyecandy!

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I've been a writer since I was about 13, but it wasn't until my third work was accepted that I really felt like I could consider myself a writer.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write? I write full time.
Most days I wake up, workout, clean the house, walk my dogs and then finally settle down to write. Depending on the day I will get 1,000-5,000 words done and as I am taking small breaks to eat I am working on marketing or social networking. I end my day at about 5, depending on how things are going.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I don't think I really have one, but I'll be on the lookout for one now!

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be an Ironworker! I still do but the timing just hasn't been right, which is okay; it gives me time for my writing which I love.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I want to thank everyone. It's something so small but it's meant from the bottom of my heart. Every act of support, even the smallest one, means the world to me.


Thanks, Kelly! Happy writing!


No comments: