Thursday, December 10, 2015

Interview with non-fiction writer Lynne Strang

Switching gears today to non-fiction.

My special guest is Lynne Strang, the author of Late-Blooming Entrepreneurs: Eight Principles for Starting a Business After Age 40.

Bio: 
Lynne Strang is, herself, a late bloomer. In 2010, she retired from her “real job” as a public relations executive to become a book author and freelance writer. Her specialties include blogging, interviewing, speech writing and content marketing, among other areas.

Lynne’s award-winning blog, Late Blooming Entrepreneurs, covers topics of interest to aspiring and new entrepreneurs who are 40 and older. The blog started small in 2010. Today, it has more than 24,000 followers (and counting).   

Previously, Lynne was Vice President of Communications for a financial services trade association. In that role, she edited a weekly e-newsletter and wrote speeches, testimony, opinion pieces, website copy and articles for industry publications.

Outside of work, Lynne is an exercise buff and a cyclist who occasionally writes articles for fitness-oriented publications and websites. She lives with her family in Northern Virginia.

Welcome, Lynn. Please tell us about your current release.
Late-Blooming Entrepreneurs: Eight Principles for Starting a Business After Age 40 features dozens of entrepreneurs who started businesses in their 40s and later. They’ll tell you, in their own words, about the ups and downs of owning a business and what enabled them to succeed.

At the heart of the book are eight simple-but-effective principles these late bloomers used to launch and build profitable businesses. In addition, you’ll find:

*Valuable insights on managing risk, retirement, money, family responsibilities, relationships, health and other possible roadblocks that can worry aspiring older entrepreneurs.

*Uplifting stories about everyday people who took a big leap and reinvented themselves.

*Ten action steps at the end of each chapter to make the principles work for you and your business idea.

*A networking approach that “pays it forward” while producing lasting business relationships.

*Worksheets to help you get a handle on your strengths-weaknesses and your money management skills.

*A list of useful resources that can provide you with the information and support you’ll need to get your business off the ground.

Late-Blooming Entrepreneurs shows why the second half of life can be the right time to start a business. This easy, conversational read delivers a healthy dose of inspiration — and leaves you with the belief that you’re never too old to go after what you want.

What inspired you to write this book? 
I’d say it was a combination of factors. I enjoy writing. I’ve worked with small business owners throughout my career. I’m intrigued by business leaders and their stories about how they became successful. And I happen to be married to an entrepreneur who’s had his own business for over 25 years.

A book about 40-and-older entrepreneurs made sense on a couple of levels. As an aspiring solopreneur and freelance writer, I knew I would benefit personally from what I learned. I also wanted to help and inspire my peers who dreamed of starting a business but thought they were “too old.”

What exciting story are you working on next?
One of the best things about my blog is the opportunity to interview smart, accomplished people who have very interesting stories. Last month, for example, I profiled a psychologist who began designing and selling stylish bags for diabetes equipment after she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in her early 60s. I have a couple of profile pieces in mind for early next year. I’m also exploring an idea for a second book that would relate to my first. 

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
In college, where I graduated with a degree in speech communications. During my last year, I interned as a news reporter at a local radio station. That experience helped me learn to write concisely. It also gave me my first taste of what it’s like to write for a living.  

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
My writing workload varies from week to week, depending upon whether I have freelance assignments or posts to write for my blog. I am most productive in the morning – so that’s my usual writing time. An early start lets me get a lot done and use the afternoon for tasks that don’t require as much critical thinking (or to take care of other things going on in my household).       

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I don’t know if it qualifies as a writing quirk but I’m a big believer in “incubating.” I’ll spend a day writing a draft – then leave it alone that night or the next day (or longer) to incubate.  When I come back to my work, I’m usually able to see problems I couldn’t see before – and fix structure issues and/or make other changes that improve the piece.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Probably an actress. I’ve always loved the stage. As a teenager, I acted in community theater and had a side business as a puppeteer for kids’ parties. Today, I still perform on occasion with a local dinner theater group.    

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
In addition to writing, I enjoy public speaking – something that terrifies many people. My membership in Toastmasters International has helped me get used to speaking in front of groups. That’s an important skill for authors when it comes to book marketing.

For any nonfiction writers out there, I’d recommend joining the Nonfiction Authors Association (NFAA). It’s a great group that offers many professional development opportunities for its members. 

Links:

Buy pages:

Thanks for stopping by today, Lynne!

1 comment:

Lynne Strang said...

Thanks for having me on your blog, Lisa!