Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Interview with Teresa Burrell, child advocate



Teresa, welcome to Reviews and Interviews. I'd like to introduce readers to you and your fiction writing, so have a few questions.

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I've always enjoyed writing, but I didn't know that I could. I didn't know that I couldn't either so a few years ago I just sat down and did it.

What inspired you to write your first book?
The book itself is inspired by a case I was involved in as an attorney in juvenile court. But I wanted to write about the horrendous child abuse problem we have in this country. I was concerned that people would not read it if I wrote a non-fiction book because it is a very difficult thing to read or talk about. By writing a legal suspense novel, I can get information out there to the public and entertain them at the same time. Is The Advocate your first book, or the first one to be published? The Advocate is my first book. I haven't written the sequel which will be released this year.

Please tell us a little bit about The Advocate.
In The Advocate, Sabre Orin Briown's job is to protect her minor client. Her obsession is to solve the mysterious disappearance of her brother. When her search for her brother and her career as a juvenile court attorney collide, she has to protect herself and her the child from the obscure and treacherous truth.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I learned a lot, not the least of which is that I love to write.

How long does it take you to write a book?
The first took only about six months, but then it was followed with many rewrites. The second about nine months but with far less editing.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I try to write first thing in the morning. I wake up around 5 or 5:30 in the morning. That's when I like to write best. Sometimes though, when I get on a roll, I'll keep writing all day.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
In order to keep writing and not lose ground even when I'm not sure where I want to go with something, I cross-examine myself without leading. And I will type out very basic (often boring) things that I later take out of the story.

Besides writing, what do you do for fun? What are you hobbies?
I love to go to movies and eat the popcorn. I will often treat myself to a movie when I reach goals I've set for myself. Other than spend time with my family I don't seem to have much time for anything else besides work. But I love my work. I enjoy not only the writing, but the marketing, so I'm a happy camper.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Keep writing. Whether you are published or not, keep at it. If I can do it, so can you.

Do you have a website and/or blog where writers can learn more about you and your writing? What are the links?
My website is http://www.teresaburrell.com. My blog is http://www.teresaburrell.blogspot.com, and I also have a facebook fan page. It is Teresa Burrell Fan Page http://tinyurl.com/yzlfncv.

Right now I'm offering a free book to any library if they get 10 people to join my Facebook fan page. All someone has to do is join my fan page, let me know the name of the library they want to host, and then get nine others to do the same. Once I have ten for any particular library, I'll send a free autographed copy directly to the library.

Thank you for your time, Teresa! That's a great offer for readers and fans, I hope folks take advantage and pull for their favorite library.
Thank you.

No comments: