Thursday, May 3, 2012

Interview with novelist Kathryn Elizabeth Jones

Kathryn Elizabeth Jones is joining us today to talk about her new novel Conquering Your Goliaths: A Parable of the Five Stones. She's also developed a workbook to go with the novel and both released this year.

Bio:
Kathryn has been a published writer since 1987. She has published various newspaper stories, magazine articles, essays and short stories for teens and adults. She is the author of: A River of Stones, a young adult fiction novel dealing with divorce, and Conquering your Goliaths—A Parable of the Five Stones, a Christian novel, was published in January 2012. Her newest creation, Conquering your Goliaths—Guidebook, was published in February of 2012

Kathryn, welcome to Reviews and Interviews. Please tell us about your current release. 
Conquering Your Goliaths: A Parable of the Five Stones is a Christian fiction novel. The story of Ms. Virginia Bean shares her joys and struggles in finding a new job in her hometown of Idaho Falls, Idaho. Fortunately, Ms. Bean has the help of the five stones: Listening, Trust, Optimism, Tenacity and Constancy, and the ever reliable help of God to realize her dream. Funny, it’s never quite what we expect.

What inspired you to write this book? 
My nephew came up with the idea and my husband shared the idea with me. He said, “This would make a great book.” So I sat down to write it. It has been an inspiring journey ever since.  

What exciting story are you working on next? 
I’m actually in the process of teaching some new classes on Conquering Your Goliaths based on the book. I have developed a Conquering Your Goliaths: Guidebook that gives the reader hands-on experiences in the messages of the five stones. The guidebook can be purchased and worked on singly, or the participant can take a class where I teach the values of the five stones.

When did you first consider yourself a writer? 
The first day I put pen to paper. No, I wasn’t very good, but I had the desire to be successful and that desire has made all the difference.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like?  If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write? 
I am a full-time writer, whether that means I am mentoring other writers, writing on my blog, working on my next book, working at my new business: Idea Creations Press, or teaching a class. I love writing in all of its facets!

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? 
I don’t really outline. I have an idea, a very loose idea of what I want to do, but nothing more. The story comes to me as I write.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? 
An airline stewardess. What are they calling them now? Oh, yes, flight attendants. I really didn’t care for flight; what I wanted to do was travel the world on someone else’s money.

That's good thinking. :)

Anything additional you want to share with the readers? 
Never give up on your dreams. Never surrender. 

Great advice, Kathryn. Thanks for stopping by today and sharing a bit about yourself and your writing with us.

No comments: