Friday, May 4, 2012

Interview with self-help author Katie Salidas


Today's guest is talking about a hot topic - self publishing. Please welcome Katie Salidas as she tours her book Go Publish Yourself! with the Virtual Book Tour Cafe.

Bio:
Katie Salidas is a Super Woman! Endowed with special powers and abilities, beyond those of mortal women, she can get the munchkin off to gymnastics, cheerleading, Girl Scouts, and swim lessons. She can put hot food on the table for dinner while assisting with homework, baths, and bedtime… And, she still finds the time to keep the hubby happy (nudge nudge wink wink). She can do all of this and still have time to write.

And if you can believe all of those lies, there is some beautiful swamp land in Florida for sale…

Actually, Katie Salidas resides in Las Vegas, Nevada. As a mother, wife, and author, she does try to do it all, often causing sleep deprivation and many nights passed out at the computer. Writing books is her passion, and she hopes that her passion will bring you hours of entertainment.

Katie, please tell us about your current release.
Go Publish Yourself! will help you avoid the common stumbling blocks and get you on the road to successful self-publishing. This handy dandy guide is filled with insider’s tips and tricks, and it will unscramble the world of self-publishing into simple, easy-to-follow steps.

What inspired you to write this book?
It started as a collection of blog posts. I spent about 6 months writing on topics about self-editing, self-publishing, and marketing. The post were very popular and the feedback I received was wonderful. It was then that my editor suggested I put everything together in a nice easy-to-read format. That’s when Go Publish Yourself! took shape. It’s a handy dandy quick reference guide for all levels of self-publishers.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I’ve been writing since I was a little girl. At the age of 14 I had written my first full-length novel, a novel that was subsequently lost during my move from Texas to Nevada. But that didn’t stop me for long.

I primarily work in Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance, but it was my experience in learning how to self-publish that really helped me to understand the behind the scenes business.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like?  If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I’m a Write at Home mom. I recently gave birth to a wonderful little boy, and I have a soon-to-be 8 year old diva who keep me pretty busy. In the few free moments I have during the day, (between making breakfasts, lunches, dinners, making the school runs, doing homework, and herding the kids toward the bath and bed) I try to work on my craft. I love to write. When I can’t find the time during the day, I use the peaceful time when my family is sleeping to get some writing done. I can often be found up very late into the evening/early morning working on stories.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Don’t really know how interesting it is, but I have to have background music on when I write. Nothing really “official” like a specific playlist, but I need music to help me set the tone of what I’m working on. For example, if I am writing an action scene, I need to have really fast paced and hard beating music on, however, when I am writing a love scene, I need softer, more melodic pieces playing.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Oddly enough, a veterinarian. I love animals. What stopped me from actually becoming one was knowing I would have to do good and bad being a vet. No one wants to put an animal to sleep. I knew I would never be able to do it, even if it was for the best. So I couldn’t be a vet.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Just my sincerest thanks and appreciation for taking the time to read this interview today. I hope you’ll take a look at my work and perhaps Go Publish Yourself! will help you on the road to seeing your own works in print someday. 

Readers, feel free to learn more about Katie by visiting her other tour stops, connecting with her on Facebook, following her on Twitter, or you can read more about her book







3 comments:

Self Help said...

I will follow you on Twitter! Lisa

Pj Schott said...

Spunky little title too!!

Maker of Masks said...

I can not wait to read this book. I wonder, which character in the book would you attribute yourself to?