Monday, June 18, 2012

Interview with novelist Pamela F

Romance and paranormal author Pamela F is our guest today. She's going to talk a bit about her newest novel, Last Rights.

Bio:
When asked why she writes romance, Pamela’s answer is simple. There’s too much violence, anger and hatred in this world, and this is her way of bringing back a tiny bit of joy.

Her favorite stories to write are the ones about the common character like Fallon Monroe—the underdog, the persecuted, the one against the many, the small against the large, who somehow manage to rise above adversity and undefeatable odds to triumph.

And always with a happy ending.

Welcome, Pamela. Please tell us about your current release.
The title, Last Rights, is a play on words. The book is set in a future where human cloning is used for organ harvesting. Human clones are created for the sole purpose of organ donation, and the First Rights law allows a True Born person the “first right” to the organs of the clones created with their DNA. The book has several of my favorite elements: cute kids, redeemable villains, (and a couple not so redeemable) a tortured hero, and a heroine who thinks herself ordinary but manages to reach inside herself to find superhuman courage she didn’t know she possessed.

What inspired you to write this book?
Honestly, most of my ideas come from news or current issues that hit a little too close to home and scare me. There have been a lot of movies and urban legends about unscrupulous human organ harvesting, and while I know they (most) are not real, the idea scares me so much I have chosen not to list myself as an organ donor. I also believe human cloning is closer than we all think. And as in all modern advancements, there will be someone unscrupulous waiting in the shadows to take advantage, or do wrong with something that could otherwise be a great benefit to mankind. I guess as a writer, I see villains lurking behind every corner.

What exciting story are you working on next?
In keeping close to my love of paranormal, I’m working on a three book series about psychic triplet sisters separated at birth. The government wants to use them, their enemies want them dead. And the men in their lives aren’t exactly sure what to do with them.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I have been a storyteller since I was a little girl. When I was little I think I liked the attention aspect of telling stories to my schoolmates, but when I got older and hooked on reading, I discovered the magic of it. Now in my adult years the attention aspect is gone; writing is a very solitary occupation, so it’s all about the allure of what I’m creating. I consider myself a little bit of a mad scientist.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like?  If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I do have a day job, but fortunately for me I also have a very understanding family. My writing day consists of 3-4 hours of writing time, intermixed with the occasional annoyance like laundry or sweeping. Writing takes priority though, so the drawback is a messy house. I consider myself one of the luckiest girls alive because not only is my husband very supportive, he also cooks.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I don’t drink coffee. Can’t stand the stuff. I consider this a writing quirk in that I can function as a writer without it.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Well, once upon a time I wanted to be a trapeze artist. Seriously. I also wanted to be a member of the US Olympic Equestrian team. But since I was about ten years old, I’ve wanted to be a writer. I thought it was a much more glamorous job than it has turned out to be, but I love creating stories so much it doesn’t matter that I spend my day in sweats and ragged slippers.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
After five books I still haven’t gotten used to the fact I can call myself a published author. It has never become commonplace to hear someone say they loved my book, or they find my career sooo glamorous, and I hope the thrill never fades. Honestly, I still find the idea that people can actually buy my books and read them absolutely magical, and I think I will always find it a tad unbelievable. That’s a good thing, because it’s humbling.

Thanks for stopping by today, Pamela, and sharing a bit about yourself and your writing.



12 comments:

Anas said...

Hi Pamela,
congratulation to your new book release! It's certainly an interesting topic you picked, although organ harvesting does make shudder.
I'm looking forward to following your tour!

Mary Preston said...

I'm positive that somewhere, someone has already cloned a human being. We just have not heard about it - yet.

Fascinating topics raised by your book.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

MomJane said...

Your story sounds fascinating, but a little scary. The thought of organ harvesting is really frightening.

Rita Wray said...

Hi Pamela
I enjoyed the interview, the book sounds great.
Kit3247@aol.com

catedid said...

Hi Pamela,
Congrats on your newest book. Enjoyed reading this interview and look forward to reading "Last Rites". Will be reading your other blog post on your tour.

Catherine Lee said...

Hi Pamela,

My Library participates in various community read activities locally and a couple of years ago, our community read was Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It was quite a disturbing dystopian picture of cloning and organ harvesting. I had trouble finishing the book and chose NOT to see the movie that was made from it.

Since you like happy endings, I assume that yours ends much better!
catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

My niece's dream is to become an Olympic equestrian...those events are so intense! Congratulations on the release...

vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

Lyra L7 said...

Thank you for the interesting interview, the premise of your book drew me in.

lyra.lucky7ATgmailDOTcom

Karen H said...

Hi Pamela,

You are a new-to-me author so I'll be following you around during your tour. It will be fun getting to know you and your work.

The premise of your book sounds intriguing. Reminds me a bit of a TV program I saw a few years ago where the parents of a terminally ill daughter decided to have another child to use her stem cells to cure the sick child.

On top of the thrilling plot, I like the fact you have a redeemable villain...such fun!

kareninnc at gmail dot com

Lisa Haselton said...

So many great comments! Thanks for the support, everyone. :)

Lisa Haselton said...

Pamela...about coffee...I didn't start drinking it until about 3 years ago. I've always *loved* coffee ice cream, but never had a desire for coffee.

Then...I quit corporate America and started working out of cafes. Started drinking iced coffees to 'pay my rent' for a seat. Totally addicted now. Not a fan of a hot cup, but iced any time of year makes me smile. :)

bn100 said...

Very intriguing book.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com