Monday, October 1, 2012

Interview with mystery author Cher'ley Grogg

Today's guest is mystery author Cher'ley Grogg. Her YA novel, The Secret in Grandma's Trunk, is fun for all ages

Bio:
Cher'ley Grogg is the author of the mystery novel Stamp Out Murder and the YA novel, The Secret in Grandma's Trunk. She has won writing contests, been published in All Things Girl magazine, local newspapers, Long Ridge Writer's Anthology, Crime and Suspense magazine and 34th Parallel Anthology. She freelances for several online magazines, blogs, and research sites. She interns for WOW magazine and belongs to Sisters in Crime, the Guppies, Crime and Suspense, West Virginia's Writers Group, and Crime Scene Writers.

Cher'ley lives with her husband along the Little Kanawha River in West Virginia. She is a wife, mother, grandmother, and mom to a fur baby-boxer named Lizzie. Along with her husband, Del, Cher'ley drives across America in an 18-wheeler. Her hobbies are painting, fine art, and reading. 

Welcome, Cher'ley. Please tell us about your current release. What inspired you to write this book? 
I wanted to write a book that was fun for ages 10 and up. The Secret in Grandma's Trunk quickly became a YA novel. It is being read by several age groups. It has young people from the age of 12 to a Great Grandmother who is a spunky 77.

Excerpt:
A teen's life turns disruptive when a great-grandmother, a stranger to him, comes from California to live with Brandon and his family along the Ohio River. Brandon, prepared to do whatever it takes to get rid of the old woman, did not count on the spunk Grandma possesses. Her redeeming quality, in Brandon's opinion, is her habit of spitting in disgust. Grandma's huge trunk sits in the garage, tempting Brandon to open it, but she keeps the key around her neck. He is positive there is enough treasure inside to take care of her. But, hidden deep in the trunk is a secret that puts her in dire danger. Will help come from a young ghost, or will her great-grandchildren intervene?

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

About eight years ago. I did a lot of courses and studying online and off, to make this happen in my "Golden Years", my husband kept gently suggesting it since, 1992, when I helped him with his college papers and his instructors said he should really be a writer. 

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write? I and my husband drive an 18-wheeler across country, covering 48 states as my day job (which I do at nights). I think you make time for the things you love. 

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

Looking for a spot to add humor.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A teacher.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?

Both of my novels are clean, wholesome books, no bad language, sex or gory scenes, but they do have romance, lots of unusual, memorable and lovable characters. I have fun in life and I portray that in my books. They are both mysteries, so there are off-scene murders that have to be solved and they are both fast paced. I hope you'll give them a try and let me know what you think. 

And if you'd like to get in touch, feel free. Here's the link to my Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/cherleygroggfanpage 

Thanks for stopping by, Cher'ley. Living on the road the way you do, must give you all sorts of story ideas!

5 comments:

Cher'ley said...

Lisa, I am so filled with ideas, that I will never be able to write about them all. That's one of my biggest problems, centering in on one idea and staying with it.

Edith Maxwell said...

The Grandma's Trunk story sounds great, Cher'ley! Congratulations.

Michelle Cornwell-Jordan said...

This is pretty awesome!:) Congratulations!

Also Lisa, I enjoy your blog and I have nominated you and 6 others for awards, please check the link, if the link does not work, the post with details is at IndieWritersReview, thank-you:)
http://indiewritersreview.wordpress.com/2012/10/02/some-blogging-loveo-blogging-awards/

Cher'ley said...

Thank you Edith.

Cher'ley said...

Thanks Michelle