Monday, September 19, 2016

Interview with historical romance author Tammy Andresen

A new week kicks off with historical romance author Tammy Andresen. She’s chatting with me about her new Victorian western, The Golden Rules of Love.

Bio:
Tammy Andresen lives with her husband and three children just outside of Boston, Massachusetts. She grew up on the Seacoast of Maine, where she spent countless days dreaming up stories in blueberry fields and among the scrub pines that line the coast. Her mother loved to spin a yarn and Tammy filled many hours listening to her mother retell the classics. It was inevitable that at the age of 18, she headed off to Simmons College, where she studied English literature and education. She never left Massachusetts but some of her heart still resides in Maine and her family visits often.

Welcome, Tammy. Please tell us about your current release.
Annie Sullivan is the strongest woman I have ever written. She had to be, she decides to travel into the male dominated gold fields in San Francisco in 1849. Hurt and abandon by her first husband, she had already learned to take of herself when she found out he had died. But, upon is death bed, he tells her that he has found gold and hidden it away. If she can find, she could buy her freedom forever. Unfortunately, the handsome Wagon Train boss, Collin Mackinnon just doesn’t seem to understand that she doesn’t want help.

The longer they are together, the more intertwined their journey becomes, the more Annie questions what the real treasure is. Is it gold or is it so much more?

What inspired you to write this book?
Within two months, I travelled to St. Louis and San Francisco and was studying the history of both areas. It seemed natural that a story would start in St. Louis, The Gateway to the West, and end in San Francisco as it did for so many in gold seekers.


Excerpt from The Golden Rules of Love:
“Are you hurt?” His voice hummed against her forehead.
“I’m sorry,” she choked out. “I’ll get up in just a second. I…” words failed her.
“It’s all right, sweetheart. You’re very strong. Just sit for one more minute.” He gave her another small squeeze and she inhaled the scent of his sun-kissed skin. Her hand rested on his chest and for a brief second she wished her past could be different and she could open herself up to Mack. But she already knew how the story ended.
Her hand balled into a fist on his shirt. Slowly, she picked her head up. By degrees, she inched herself off his lap. A blush crept up her cheeks. “Thank you,” she mumbled as she awkwardly tried to stand.
In one motion, he stood himself and pulled her to her feet, steadying her. His thumb brushed lightly across her cheek. “Anytime, Annie. And I mean that.” Then he turned and left with the men.
As Annie watched him walk away, loneliness filled her chest but she pushed it back down. She was going to have to learn to walk alone in this world because she wouldn’t go through another marriage like her last.


What exciting story are you working on next?
I have a series, Taming the Heart. The next installment in the series is Taming a Duke’s Wild Rose. It is coming out in November of 2016.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I’m still not sure I do! When people ask, I still stutter through my response.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like?
If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write? I am a full-time mom and a part-time writer. Three kids keep me hopping but I set aside at least two hours a day for writing, one hour for marketing, and an hour for interacting with my fellow authors and readers!

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Hmmmm… I write with a caucophony of noise around me all the time. My husband calls it my super power! Kids, dog, television. I’ve learned to tune it all out. Let’s hope there isn’t a fire!

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
An actor, a teacher, a singer or a storyteller. I couldn’t decide!

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Every day I marvel at how lucky I am to do this for a job! I couldn’t do any of it without readers, they are amazing!!

Links:

Thanks for being here today, Tammy! All the best with your writing.

No comments: