Thursday, November 17, 2016

Interview with short story writer McKenna Grey

McKenna Grey is here chatting with me about her contemporary Christmas romance collection of short stories written with Everly Archard, Christmas Romance: Second Chances.

Bios:
McKenna Grey is the contemporary alter-ego of award-winning historical romance and historical western author MK McClintock. Never one to limit her imagination or ignore possibilities, she decided to venture into the realm of contemporary romantic suspense, where she blends riveting romance with gripping adventure and mystery. Visit her at www.mckennagrey.com.

Everly Archard is the pseudonym of award-winning paranormal and fantasy romance author D.D. Miers. Always on the search for her next writing adventure, she branched out into the exciting world of contemporary romantic suspense, where she serves up pulse-pounding mystery, epic romance, and a whole lot of thrills! Learn more about Everly by visiting www.everlyarchard.com.

What do you enjoy most about writing short stories?
I like giving people something to read when they don’t have a lot of time. Fun, quick reads that make people smile.

Can you give us a little insight into a few of your short stories – perhaps some of your favorites?
My two short stories in this collection are the first two I’ve written as McKenna Grey. As MK McClintock, I’ve written a few, and all have been so much fun. It’s difficult to compare because they’ve all been so different, but I really enjoy writing Christmas short stories.


Excerpt from “Christmas in Moose Creek”:
The 4x4 careened to a stop and the driver waited in disbelief at the deplorable timing of Mother Nature. Moose Creek, Montana, had its share of wildlife—bear, deer, elk, mountain lions—but in her thirty-three years, Saige Travers had never seen a moose on this mountain. Until today.
No one waited for her in her swank two-bedroom condo in Seattle except the goldfish her brother gave to her as a joke for her birthday. She’d needed a break from the city and the cataclysmic string of end-of-the-road relationships she’d been in the past five years. More like dates, if she was going to be honest with herself.
Saige Travers didn’t have time for relationships.


What genre are you inspired to write in the most? Why?
As McKenna Grey, definitely romantic thrillers. It’s a genre I’ve wanted to write for a long time and I’m so glad I did. I’ve always liked action movies and thriller/suspense novels, and I just wanted to try my hand at it. Writing sweet contemporary romance is an added perk.

What exciting story are you working on next?
Everly Archard and I are working on the next Kyndall Family Thriller, Shadow of the Forgotten. It’s working out to be just as thrilling and exciting as book one, The Dragon’s Staircase. We’re also working on a prequel short story for the Kyndall Family series.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
At a very young age, too young to remember exactly when. Though I suppose if I were to put a date on it, it would be when the first book was published. That was such a rush!

How do you research markets for your work, perhaps as some advice for writers?
By reading . . . a lot! You have to know what’s out there, what readers like, and why the popular books sell. Read as much as you can, as often as you can. You’ll learn a lot about what to do, and what not to do.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I don’t know how interesting it is, but I need absolute silence all around me and then I write wearing a headset to cancel out any unwanted ambient noise. Then I listen to either Celtic instrumental music or thunderstorm sounds. If I’m interrupted or jarred out of a story because of outside noise, I’m not a happy camper.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I thought it would be cool for a short while to be a K-9 cop, and for a long time I wanted to be a chef. When I first started writing in kindergarten, I don’t think it occurred to me that I could grow up to be a writer.

Links:


Thanks for being here today, McKenna!

1 comment:

McKenna Grey said...

Thank you so much for welcoming me to your blog today, and to share these stories with your readers. -MG